These options determine how PMView will reduce the number of colors when loading an image.
· Adaptive This will select the best colors for the image.
· System. This will only use colors in the system palette.
· 8-8-4 levels This will use the vaunted 3-3-2 bits fixed palette, that is, a palette with 8 intensity levels for the Red and Green components and 4 levels for Blue.
· 6-7-6 levels This will use a 6-7-6 level fixed palette, that is, a palette with 6 intensity levels for the Red and Blue component and 7 levels for Green.
· 6-6-6 levels This will use a 6-6-6 level fixed palette, that is, a palette with 6 intensity levels for each color component.
· None The colors will be selected on best match basis. The color error is not compensated.
· Ordered Ordered dithering is used to compensate the error. Ordered dithering can only be used with R-G-B level palettes.
· Diffusion Floyd-Steinberg error diffusion dithering is used to compensate the color error.
Preference Palette Dither
Best color quality System Diffusion
Fastest loading 8-8-4 level Ordered
System default Adaptive None