> A few issues/questions
paulbiz
post Jan 5 2003, 08:27 PM
Post #1

Forum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 132

Hi,

First of all, PMview is great (and I am newly registered). There are just a few things about the File Open window that bothers me sometimes (but not majorly smile.gif. Perhaps there is a setting to affect these, but I am not aware of them! If so, excuse my ignorance. I use the OS/2 version of PMView 99% of the time, so I'm posting this in the OS/2 forum. They may or may not affect the Windows version too.

First - When you set the "List files of type" to "all files", it sets the filespec to *.* which, unfortunately, doesn't list all files, but all files with an extension. If I manually change it to * then it truely lists all files. PMView does such a good job at identifying and displaying files of almost any type, the extension (and filename in general) seems irrelevant.

One thing I like is that you can drag & drop files from the main panel into the folder tree view on the left. However, it disregards OS/2's system setting for "Duplicate Titles" (rename, replace, or prompt for action). Instead, it seems to just overwrite everything with no warning. If I open a WPS folder and drag files from PMview's File Open window into that, it behaves properly (but this is no fun to have to do every time). So I guess it's a behavior of the target (the tree view in this case). I usually have this set to auto-rename since I'm working with tons of digital camera files that have duplicate filenames all the time.

Another thing with the File Open tree view - whenever I open it, it appears to be scanning all the displayed directories in the tree view for subdirectories (so it can draw the +). I have slow disks and a slow computer, plus I use JFS, which is very slow at loading lists of files in directories. This means I have to wait several MINUTES sometimes before I'm able to do anything when I open the File Open window. Is there a way to disable this feature? I'd like to just be able to see the dir names, and if I want to attempt to expand a folder, I'll double click on it.

Finally, another issue related to my slow system smile.gif When using the +/- keys or the prev/next icons to browse through images, it pre-loads the next image. Usually this is a great feature, however this gets slow sometimes and reduces the programs responsiveness to the point that it is annoying. Is there a way to toggle the pre-loading?

These are all relatively small things, and PMView is beautiful otherwise. Thanks for your work!

PS - There used to be mailing lists available on the old PMView website (announce/discuss/beta). Are these still around, and is there still a beta program?

Thanks,
Paul
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- paulbiz   A few issues/questions   Jan 5 2003, 08:27 PM
- - Peter   Sorry for the late reply. I must have missed this ...   Feb 15 2003, 07:33 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 09:40 PM