PMView.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ecs 1.2 Mr And Pm View Mis-behavior
Guest_PMView USer_*
post Nov 23 2005, 02:22 PM
Post #1

Guests

I have been using PM View 3.2 and 3.22 (Registered) on eCS 1.2 without any issues.

But, after installing eCS 1.2 Media Refresh, PM View refuses to generate desktop background images.

From PMView, I can remove any background images set by other means, but I cannot set desktop background images from PMView app.

I am not sure if this is a PMView bug, or eCS bug, but happens on fresh eCS 1.2MR install.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Peter
post Nov 23 2005, 04:18 PM
Post #2

Forum Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I believe the problem is caused by the date or time separator used on your system. I just found out that if a slash is used in the date format, then the Wallpaper function will not work.

Stop PMView if it's running. Go to the DATE tab in your COUNTRY settings (OS/2 System => System Setup => Country) and change the date separator from '/' to '-' or '.'. Close the COUNTRY dialog. Now restart PMView and the Wallpaper function should work again.

Please let me know if this solves the problem or not.

Thanks,

--------------------
Peter Nielsen (peter@pmview.com) "If you can dream it, you can do it" JFK.

+Quote Post
Peter
post Nov 26 2005, 11:58 PM
Post #3

Forum Member

Another possible issue may be that the image you're using is too big. Try to first do Transform->Size and resize the image to the desktop size. (If the image is too big, OS/2 will be unable to handle it even though PMView does everything correctly).

PMView v3.23 will fix the date separator problem and this problem too. (It will automatically resize the image to the desktop size if it's too big).

Thanks,

--------------------

+Quote Post
Peter
post Nov 27 2005, 08:12 PM
Post #4

Forum Member

Oh, and a third possibility: See if the "Use RLE/Huffman1D encoding" option is enabled in your OS/2 Bitmap save options. (Open the File->Save as dialog, select OS/2 BMP and click the options button).

Using encoding should NOT be a problem, since OS/2 itself should always be able to read all valid OS/2 v2.0 bitmaps. However, you never know... so if none of the two above issues apply, then I'd try disabling encoding if it's enabled.

The fact that it suddenly stopped working might hint to that a new BMP decoder was installed with Ecs 1.2, and maybe this decoder no longer can handle OS/2 v2.0 bitmaps correctly. Who knows...

Let me know how it works out, so that I can fix any issues in PMView.

Thanks,

--------------------

+Quote Post
Peter
post Dec 2 2005, 10:44 AM
Post #5

Forum Member

"PMView USer", could you provide some feedback, please.

v3.23 is sitting here ready for release. We will release it once we know this issue is resolved.

Thanks,

--------------------

+Quote Post
bl00d
post Dec 10 2005, 12:10 PM
Post #6

Forum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 202

QUOTE (Peter @ Dec 2 2005, 11:44 AM)
"PMView USer", could you provide some feedback, please.

v3.23 is sitting here ready for release. We will release it once we know this issue is resolved.

Thanks,

I just upgraded my eCS to 1.2mr yesterday, and started having the same problems as mentioned above. I had PMview 3.20 (reg'd), just upgraded to 3.22 and still have the same problem. Changed the date separater from / to - and still PMView will not change the desktop background, but it will clear it.

I also have a program called "The Wall" which is a little program to cycle jpg images on the desktop, it works fine.

If I can be of further help, please feel free to email me, email addy in profile

Kev

+Quote Post
Peter
post Dec 11 2005, 07:55 PM
Post #7

Forum Member

Did you check what BMP encoding you're using? Also, what size is the file you're using?

Thanks,

--------------------

+Quote Post
bl00d
post Dec 12 2005, 10:31 AM
Post #8

Forum Member

QUOTE (Peter @ Dec 11 2005, 08:55 PM)
Did you check what BMP encoding you're using? Also, what size is the file you're using?

Thanks,

BMP encoding, is set to OS/2 2.x format with RLE/Huffman1D disabled

I have tried this with jpg's ranging in size from 800x600 to 1600x1200 and same result for all, with my desktop set at a 1280x1024.

Also yesterday, I started PMView with the logging switch enabled, but it did not log anything to the file except for the header data.

Kev

+Quote Post
Peter
post Dec 12 2005, 10:43 AM
Post #9

Forum Member

Kev, thanks for following up on this.

What boot drive and file system does PMView report in Help->System info?

Is there a directory \OS2\BITMAP on the boot drive?

Does PMView create a file with a name similar to "Wallpaper Set By PMView 12-12-2005 11:11:00 AM.BMP" in that directory when you set the wallpaper? (Current date&time will be used in the name of the file created by PMView).

Thanks,

--------------------

+Quote Post
bl00d
post Dec 12 2005, 10:53 AM
Post #10

Forum Member

QUOTE (Peter @ Dec 12 2005, 11:43 AM)
Kev, thanks for following up on this.

What boot drive and file system does PMView report in Help->System info?

Is there a directory \OS2\BITMAP on the boot drive?

Does PMView create a file with a name similar to "Wallpaper Set By PMView 12-12-2005 11:11:00 AM.BMP" in that directory when you set the wallpaper? (Current date&time will be used in the name of the file created by PMView).

Thanks,

Bootdrive & File System = C: HPFS

\OS2\BITMAP exist on C:\ = Yes

Create file? No, it is not creating that file. There is a file from 12/5 which was created before I upgraded to 1.2MR

+Quote Post
Peter
post Dec 12 2005, 03:06 PM
Post #11

Forum Member

QUOTE (bl00d @ Dec 12 2005, 11:53 AM)
Create file? No, it is not creating that file.

Ok. That's the problem then. For some reason PMView cannot create the file. Try changing the time and date separators. Try setting both the time and date separators to a dot ('.'). Restart PMView and see if that changes anything.

NOTE: It is essential that you restart PMView. Pmview only reads in the system settings for time&date separators when it starts. The settings are then cached.

Also try using File->Save As and save the file as OS/2 bitmap to the C:\OS2\BITMAP directory. Can PMView save a BMP to this directory without problem?

Thanks,

--------------------

+Quote Post
bl00d
post Dec 12 2005, 04:54 PM
Post #12

Forum Member

Tried changing both the date and time separators to "." and still does not work. Was closing PMVIEW between changes so it could re-read in the changes. One thing I noted, I was looking for a way to test to make sure the date/time sep. changes were taking. I was viewing images in the "File Open" window and the image date was still showing "/" as separator for mouse-over and in the info window. I figured PMVIEW would use the system setting for that, maybe not. Is there another way I can test it?

I did try to save a *.BMP file to /os2/bitmap and it worked fine, no problems. PMVIEW was able to write the file to the directory.

+Quote Post
bl00d
post Dec 12 2005, 04:57 PM
Post #13

Forum Member

QUOTE (bl00d @ Dec 12 2005, 05:54 PM)
Tried changing both the date and time separators to "." and still does not work. Was closing PMVIEW between changes so it could re-read in the changes. One thing I noted, I was looking for a way to test to make sure the date/time sep. changes were taking. I was viewing images in the "File Open" window and the image date was still showing "/" as separator. I figured PMVIEW would use the system setting for that, maybe not. Is there another way I can test it?

I did try to save a *.BMP file to /os2/bitmap and it worked fine, no problems. PMVIEW was able to write the file to the directory.

Probably doesn't matter, but the date/time settings I am changing are just a tad different than your earlier explanation, which I believe is for OS/2 itself. In eCS it's System Setup -> Locale -> en_US -> Date (or time) tab

+Quote Post
Peter
post Dec 13 2005, 07:28 PM
Post #14

Forum Member

QUOTE (bl00d @ Dec 12 2005, 05:54 PM)
I was viewing images in the "File Open" window and the image date was still showing "/" as separator for mouse-over and in the info window.

Ok. That explains why changing the date format does not help. (Obviously eCS 1.2 does something new that is incompatible with the original OS/2 2.0 way of handling the date and time NLS).

PMView v3.23 will check for '/' as date separator and automatically use '-' instead so that the file can be written.

If v3.23 (when available) still does not fix the problem, please let me know!

Thanks,

--------------------

+Quote Post
bl00d
post Dec 14 2005, 10:28 AM
Post #15

Forum Member

QUOTE (Peter @ Dec 13 2005, 08:28 PM)
Ok. That explains why changing the date format does not help. (Obviously eCS 1.2 does something new that is incompatible with the original OS/2 2.0 way of handling the date and time NLS).

PMView v3.23 will check for '/' as date separator and automatically use '-' instead so that the file can be written.

If v3.23 (when available) still does not fix the problem, please let me know!

Thanks,

Ok Thanks Peter, looking forward to the release smile.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Jan 18 2006, 09:32 PM
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE (bl00d @ Dec 14 2005, 11:28 AM)
Ok Thanks Peter, looking forward to the release smile.gif

Just a follow up, background option working fine with new release, thanks!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:14 AM