Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Direct Use With Usb Camera
Graham
post Jul 5 2007, 11:24 PM
Post #1

Forum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,458

As a long time user of PMView I now find it doesn't work well with a recently purchased camera. This camera does not appear as a drive letter, instead it shows in "My Computer" as a specific camera device.

This provides a significantly reduced menu of options for each image, none of which can involve PMView. There is a Preview option, which opens Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, a decidely poor piece of software. I would very much like to have PMView to take over the Preview option.

Further, PMView's Open dialog doesn't show this camera device, so I can't get pictures into PMView that way. I actually have to use something other than PMView to put the images on my hard drive, and then open PMView on them, which is quite inconvenient.

From the reading I've done, it doesn't look as though it would be very difficult to have PMView take over the Preview option, but I've no idea how difficult it would be to have the camera usable in the Open dialog. Either would be a big improvement though.

FWIW, my wife connected my camera to her computer, she opened Photoshop Elements 4 to see if it could access the camera and it immediately provided a dialog with thumbnails and the abilty to process the pictures. (BTW, she uses PMView too.)

Basic manipulations of camera images seems such a natural thing for PMView to do, and I'm disappointed I can't do it with this camera. Any chance this capability will be added any time soon?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Peter
post Oct 13 2011, 07:04 AM
Post #2

Forum Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Graham, ronlaw: The problem was that I did not realize exactly what the problem was until Al pictured it very clearly.

This issue will be fixed in v3.65. Will be available by the end of October latest!

--------------------
Peter Nielsen (peter@pmview.com) "If you can dream it, you can do it" JFK.

+Quote Post
asavage
post Oct 15 2011, 01:34 PM
Post #3

Forum Member

Member No.: 28

That's great news. I'm glad that there is a solution that does not require hundreds of hours of time to implement. Thanks, Peter.

--------------------
Regards, Oak Harbor, WA
Al S.
http://asavage.dyndns.org

+Quote Post
Peter
post Oct 15 2011, 04:08 PM
Post #4

Forum Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

QUOTE (asavage @ Oct 15 2011, 02:34 PM) *
That's great news. I'm glad that there is a solution that does not require hundreds of hours of time to implement. Thanks, Peter.

Actually it turns out it will take quite a bit of work. All core file functions in PMView will have to be redone to allow operation of files on "virtual" drives. Most likely it will result in v3.70 and Windows 98/ME and NT4 support will be dropped.

--------------------
Peter Nielsen (peter@pmview.com) "If you can dream it, you can do it" JFK.

+Quote Post
asavage
post Oct 15 2011, 04:40 PM
Post #5

Forum Member

Member No.: 28

QUOTE (Peter @ Oct 15 2011, 04:08 PM) *
. . and Windows 98/ME and NT4 support will be dropped.

Damn.

--------------------
Regards, Oak Harbor, WA
Al S.
http://asavage.dyndns.org

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:57 PM