PMView.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bug Report?: FOC->Info reports wrong DPI
Guest_Al Savage_*
post Jun 9 2003, 12:23 AM
Post #1

Guests

1) Is this the appropriate place to perform bug discussions?

2) See
PMView screenshot (195k)
or
PMView screenshot (520k)

Notice the resolution reported by the main window "Transform->Resolution" dialogue is 600dpi,

but the resolution reported by the FOC's RMB->Info dialogue is 300dpi.

The FOC is reporting on a newly-created (File->SaveAs opertaion) copy.

Steps to recreate:

* Create a 600dpi image in PNG format. I used a scanner for this.

* Use PMV FOC to convert it to PNM format. I did it the "long" way, by using FOC to load to main window, then File->SaveAs and changed the "Save As Type".

It's possible that we've had this discussion before . . . perhaps the PNM format does not store the dpi info? If so, PMV should not report to the user an assumed value -- "Not available" would be more appropriate for display purposes, even if PMV uses 300dpi internally.

===============================
BTW, whose brilliant idea is it to limit inline images to the Unisys GIF format? This is what I saw when I tried to post PNGs:

Regards,
Al S.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Peter
post Jun 9 2003, 07:38 AM
Post #2

Forum Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

It's possible that we've had this discussion before . . . perhaps the PNM format does not store the dpi info?  If so, PMV should not report to the user an assumed value -- "Not available" would be more appropriate for display purposes, even if PMV uses 300dpi internally.
Correct. The PNM format does not store the resolution. The resolution info is lost when the file is saved to disk.

PMView reports the default resolution of 300x300 dpi as this is the value PMView will use when printing or converting to a format that requires that a resolution figure is stored. However, as you say, it would probably be better if it said something like "Not available (300x300 dpi)" or "300x300 dpi (Default)"-

BTW, whose brilliant idea is it to limit inline images to the Unisys GIF format?  This is what I saw when I tried to post PNGs

It sounds like this is a limitation of the current forum software. I'll check this with Brandon.

Thanks,

Edited By Peter on 1055162549

--------------------
Peter Nielsen (peter@pmview.com) "If you can dream it, you can do it" JFK.

+Quote Post
BSWAdmin1
post Jun 10 2003, 10:28 AM
Post #3

Forum Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 122

The limitations on file types allowed was a standard option during installation of the forum software for security reasons. I have added .png and .bmp to the allowed types, so now .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, .bmp, .png and .swf flash are allowed.

Thanks,
Brandon

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:59 AM