Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Menu line changed to help option only ? - Problem with some *.jpg files
Guest_Remy Dodin_*
post Dec 3 2003, 05:02 AM
Post #1

Guests

Hello,

I'm using latest PMVIEW PRO for OS/2 (registered under Remy Dodin). I open jpg file and when I click on File option, the menu line is changed from
File Edit Transform Color View Help
to
Help p
This problem didn't exist under older pmview2000 .
"I only got this problem with one *.jpg file and I can send it to your attention if needed"

Regards,
Remy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Peter
post Dec 3 2003, 08:51 AM
Post #2

Forum Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Hi Remy,

You just happened to stumble on a very old OS/2 bug. This happens in all versions of PMView and can in fact happen with any program.

The OS/2 bug appears if the width of the window is smaller than the menu by a certain precise amount of pixels. In this condition, the internal OS/2 menu sizing routine fails and sizes the menu to be only one line high when it should be two lines high. The result is that only the second line of the menu is seen.

Needless to say, IBM never cared about fixing an obscure bug like this... sad.gif

As I said, the bug also appears in older versions of PMView, and in other software products. However, depending on what text is in the menu, it takes a certain image width (down to 1 pixel accuracy!) to trigger the problem.

PMView 2000 and PMView Pro have different texts in the menus. Thus different image widths are required to trigger the OS/2 problem. To put it in other words: the same problem is in PMView 2000, but you need a different image size to repeat the problem. (The same goes for all v1.0x and v0.xx versions of PMView).

FWIW, here's how you can verify that the problem is indeed the menu problem that I'm talking about: Write down the size of your JPG image. Take any other image and size it to the EXACT same width and height. Save in any format, e.g. BMP. Load the image and you should see the same bug appear with that image too...

Thanks,

Edited By Peter on 1070460710

--------------------
Peter Nielsen (peter@pmview.com) "If you can dream it, you can do it" JFK.

+Quote Post
Guest_82-1070655996_*
post Dec 5 2003, 03:41 PM
Post #3

Guests

Hi,

I did the suggested test :

FWIW, here's how you can verify that the problem is indeed the menu problem that I'm talking about: Write down the size of your JPG image. Take any other image and size it to the EXACT same width and height. Save in any format, e.g. BMP. Load the image and you should see the same bug appear with that image too...

You are right, I have the same problem changing other image to file to the same size ( 1075 x 2195 ) and saving it as bmp image file.

If I'm right, the only way to go out of this problem is to change the image size for a few pixels !

Thanks

+Quote Post
Peter
post Dec 6 2003, 11:18 AM
Post #4

Forum Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

If I'm right, the only way to go out of this problem is to change the image size for a few pixels !

Yes. That's one way to get around it. 1075 pixels is probably not a common width anyway. An "odd" width is a bad choice for most file formats anyway. (A width divisible by 8 is often ideal for most formats).

Thanks,

--------------------
Peter Nielsen (peter@pmview.com) "If you can dream it, you can do it" JFK.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:28 PM