> A few issues/questions
paulbiz
post Jan 5 2003, 08:27 PM
Post #1

Forum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 132

Hi,

First of all, PMview is great (and I am newly registered). There are just a few things about the File Open window that bothers me sometimes (but not majorly smile.gif. Perhaps there is a setting to affect these, but I am not aware of them! If so, excuse my ignorance. I use the OS/2 version of PMView 99% of the time, so I'm posting this in the OS/2 forum. They may or may not affect the Windows version too.

First - When you set the "List files of type" to "all files", it sets the filespec to *.* which, unfortunately, doesn't list all files, but all files with an extension. If I manually change it to * then it truely lists all files. PMView does such a good job at identifying and displaying files of almost any type, the extension (and filename in general) seems irrelevant.

One thing I like is that you can drag & drop files from the main panel into the folder tree view on the left. However, it disregards OS/2's system setting for "Duplicate Titles" (rename, replace, or prompt for action). Instead, it seems to just overwrite everything with no warning. If I open a WPS folder and drag files from PMview's File Open window into that, it behaves properly (but this is no fun to have to do every time). So I guess it's a behavior of the target (the tree view in this case). I usually have this set to auto-rename since I'm working with tons of digital camera files that have duplicate filenames all the time.

Another thing with the File Open tree view - whenever I open it, it appears to be scanning all the displayed directories in the tree view for subdirectories (so it can draw the +). I have slow disks and a slow computer, plus I use JFS, which is very slow at loading lists of files in directories. This means I have to wait several MINUTES sometimes before I'm able to do anything when I open the File Open window. Is there a way to disable this feature? I'd like to just be able to see the dir names, and if I want to attempt to expand a folder, I'll double click on it.

Finally, another issue related to my slow system smile.gif When using the +/- keys or the prev/next icons to browse through images, it pre-loads the next image. Usually this is a great feature, however this gets slow sometimes and reduces the programs responsiveness to the point that it is annoying. Is there a way to toggle the pre-loading?

These are all relatively small things, and PMView is beautiful otherwise. Thanks for your work!

PS - There used to be mailing lists available on the old PMView website (announce/discuss/beta). Are these still around, and is there still a beta program?

Thanks,
Paul
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Peter
post Feb 15 2003, 07:33 PM
Post #2

Forum Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Sorry for the late reply. I must have missed this post.

>First - When you set the "List files of type" to "all files",
>it sets the filespec to *.* which, unfortunately, doesn't
>list all files, but all files with an extension.

This is a known bug. It will be fixed in the next release scheduled for 3/31. (This bug was introduced in v2.32 so you might want to go back to v2.31)

>One thing I like is that you can drag & drop files from
>the main panel into the folder tree view on the left.
>However, it disregards OS/2's system setting for "Duplicate >Titles" (rename, replace, or prompt for action).

This will be totally revamped in the new release. It will solve all the issues. (Among other things it will give you an option of a dialog that displays thumbnails of the source and target images and asks you what to do).

>Another thing with the File Open tree view - whenever I
>open it, it appears to be scanning all the displayed
>directories in the tree view for subdirectories (so it can draw
> the +). I have slow disks and a slow computer, plus I use
>JFS, which is very slow at loading lists of files in directories.

Whoa! There used to be an option for this!

The code in PMView still handles this option, but for some reason it is no longer there in the user interface... I don't know really what happened here... It must be a mistake. I'll make sure that this option makes in into the new version...

>Finally, another issue related to my slow system When using
>the +/- keys or the prev/next icons to browse through
>images, it pre-loads the next image. Usually this is a great
>feature, however this gets slow sometimes and reduces the
>programs responsiveness to the point that it is annoying. Is
>there a way to toggle the pre-loading?

Yes: File->Next/Previous->Read Ahead

You might also want to disable the "Automatically change directory" options on the "Directory" page in PMView's options notebook as these may have a noticable effect on the responsiveness.

Thanks,

Edited By Peter on 1045413347

--------------------
Peter Nielsen (peter@pmview.com) "If you can dream it, you can do it" JFK.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:37 AM