PMView.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Keep existing EAs?
Guest_Vitus_*
post Apr 1 2003, 10:51 AM
Post #1

Guests

Keeping EXIF information is nice. But I would like to use EAs to keep additional descriptions. And it's very easy to search for a document when all files have their descriptions at the same place.
My filebase (yes, I'm still running a BBS) keeps file descriptions in EAs so there already 8 GiB of data which contain EA descriptions. Adding the pictures from the digital camera would be easy ... if the EAs are still in place sad.gif

Are there technical reasons why PMView does not just rewrite the same file? Using a DosSetFileSize if neccessary?

By[t]e,
Vitus
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Peter
post Apr 2 2003, 04:57 PM
Post #2

Forum Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Leaving EAs in place is usually only appropriate for EAs that are recognized (understood) by an application.

Blindly copying EAs from the original is not clever. Basically PMView would need to know the details of ANY EA that it copies so that it can update or leave out information that is no longer appropriate.

For instance, consider that MYFILE.FMT is created by FileGizmo v1.00. FileGizmo writes its own EAs to the file and these EAs describe the file format type, file size, etc. Then you edit the file with PMView, resize it and maybe save it in a different format. If PMView blindly copies the FileGizmo EAs, you may end up with a file with conflicting information in the EAs. Now you can question whether FileGizmo will be able to even work with the file any more since the EA info is in conflict with the contents of the file. Even if FileGizmo manages to recover from the confilicting information, a possible Mr3rdPartyUtil application may have a harder time coping with the files in a reliable manner...

Thanks,

Edited By Peter on 1049320733

--------------------
Peter Nielsen (peter@pmview.com) "If you can dream it, you can do it" JFK.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:19 PM