PMView.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PNG alpha channel transparency
Guest_Per Johansson_*
post May 29 2003, 10:16 AM
Post #1

Guests

PMView supports alpha channel transparency according to the help file, but I haven't been able to create such an image.
I have a big black and white 2-colour TIFF image that I make smaller, 10 %, and it becames a Truecolour grayscale image. I save it as a PNG image with transparency turned on, transparency colour 255, 255, 255. The white parts turn transparent when viewed in Mozilla or Opera, but the gray parts remain opaque.

How do a make an alpha channel transparent image?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Peter
post May 29 2003, 11:58 AM
Post #2

Forum Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

PMView cannot save transparency masks. The only way to achieve transparency when saving is to use a transparent color.

What you're doing will work fine, however you need to invoke Color->Convert to Black&White before saving the file.

Auto-creation of a multi-level opacity mask is out of the scope of PMView. I recommend using the GIMP or Photoshop for this task. However, I doubt this will help. I'm sceptical to whether today's web browsers can use files with an alpha channel (opacity mask). Even if it works in one browser, I bet it won't work in all browsers (IE, Opera, Netscape, Mozilla...). My guess is that they will read the file without problem but they will not use the alpha channel data and the result is an image that is not transparent at all. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Edited By Peter on 1054228135

--------------------
Peter Nielsen (peter@pmview.com) "If you can dream it, you can do it" JFK.

+Quote Post
Per A Johansson
post Jun 1 2003, 05:17 AM
Post #3

Forum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 143

QUOTE (Peter)
PMView cannot save transparency masks. The only way to achieve transparency when saving is to use a transparent color.

What you're doing will work fine, however you need to invoke Color->Convert to Black&White before saving the file.

Auto-creation of a multi-level opacity mask is out of the scope of PMView. I recommend using the GIMP or Photoshop for this task. However, I doubt this will help. I'm sceptical to whether today's web browsers can use files with an alpha channel (opacity mask). Even if it works in one browser, I bet it won't work in all browsers (IE, Opera, Netscape, Mozilla...). My guess is that they will read the file without problem but they will not use the alpha channel data and the result is an image that is not transparent at all. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

I think it should be explained in the documentation that PMView cannot save transparency masks, or rather what you can and can't do with PMView.

Yes, I have now used GIMP to create the semi-transparent image. Current browsers can handle such images, except Internet Explorer for Windows, which may be considered a legacy browser these days, although you can't ignore it as long as it has most of the browser market.

Some sites returns different images for current and legacy browsers. Using that technique, semi-transparent PNG's can be used. For now, I'll stick with one-colour transparency.

There are demos here for those who are interested in how images are rendered (or ignored!) in different browsers:
http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/pngsuite.html

+Quote Post
Peter
post Jun 1 2003, 08:51 AM
Post #4

Forum Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I think it should be explained in the documentation that PMView cannot save transparency masks, or rather what you can and can't do with PMView.

When browsing through the menus, it should be obvious that PMView does not support transparency masks. If it did, there would certainly be a "View" option so that you could see the mask layer (and possibly edit it too).

Please remember that PMView 2000 is mostly a viewer/converter, which I suppose its name should reflect.

A future version of PMView will definitely have full support for transparency masks.

Thanks,

Edited By Peter on 1054583695

--------------------
Peter Nielsen (peter@pmview.com) "If you can dream it, you can do it" JFK.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:57 PM