> WPS misbehavour after PMView session
Derek Wright
post Feb 11 2004, 10:08 AM
Post #1

Forum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 160

Peter

I am getting strange WPS behaviour after using PMView on a directory of 70 files. Could this be due to a memory leak?

I have just been working in PMView on a directory of about 75 1.3mgb jpg files (all 5mgpixel images) I have either cropped and/or amended the density colour etc on about 50 of the files and
resaved the files to the same file name. I have been working by having the file open dialog for the directory open and using the arrow button to move to the next picture.

After completing the work, I closed PMView and reverted to Mozilla 1.41 - there was a lot of disk swapping.

However some workplace shell features do not appear to be working ie swapping between tasks - after re running PMView again the restriction has gone away.

This is the second time I have noticed the slow down and WPS misbehavour after a major PMView session with the current release of PMView - the previous occasion required a reboot to get the WPS to behave properly.

Any thoughts or comments

Derek

--------------------
Derek Wright
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Peter
post Feb 11 2004, 11:49 AM
Post #2

Forum Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Do you clean out your WPS handles from OS2.INI on a regular basis? (IniMaint, UniMaint, CleanINI, etc.)

Using WPS for copying/moving/deleting files has the bad side effect of contaminating OS2.INI. Each operation done by WPS leaves a handle in OS2.INI that is not deleted. Eventually the build-up of all these handles is known to cause problems.

This is why PMView Pro has the new "Use Workplace Shell APIs for copy/move/delete" option. (This option is on the "Special/TWAIN" page in PMView's preferences notebook). Disabling this will use the traditional OS/2 DOS APIs instead of the WPS APIs. Thus, you can avoid the annoying WPS handle leak. The only downside to disabling this option is that the WPS will not visually refresh right away. You will have to wait out the approx. 5-10 seconds it takes for WPS to display changes. (If you only work inside PMView, this actually does not make a difference. You would only see the delay when dragging files between PMView and WPS). On the upside, the DOS APIs are considerably faster...

Thanks,

Edited By Peter on 1076518840

--------------------
Peter Nielsen (peter@pmview.com) "If you can dream it, you can do it" JFK.

+Quote Post
Derek Wright
post Feb 11 2004, 01:47 PM
Post #3

Forum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 160

Do I clean .... I have done once - about 5 months ago - I had some very strange effects during that process, missing folder content etc etc.

I have set the Option to not use the WPI APIs as you suggested.

In the main I use MrFilePM for all my file management and program/application launching for programs like EPM, PMView and only very rarely use the Drives process except for looking into the XFREE directory structure that has names starting with a period.

I will now see how it performs
Thanks for your help

Derek

--------------------
Derek Wright

+Quote Post
Peter
post Feb 11 2004, 03:47 PM
Post #4

Forum Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I had some very strange effects during that process, missing folder content  etc etc.

Yeah, I think that has happened to mee too. (I guess you really need to know how to do this "cleaning" properly...)

When thinking more about this, I guess it would be a good idea to change the default setting for the "Use Workplace Shell APIs for copy/move/delete" option. Right now the default is "checked", but "not checked" would be better as most people will experience a better overall performance in this case...

Thanks,
Peter

Edited By Peter on 1076532486

--------------------
Peter Nielsen (peter@pmview.com) "If you can dream it, you can do it" JFK.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:59 PM