> Problem converting file to 256 colors
cn
post Jun 15 2001, 12:40 PM
Post #1

Forum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 70

Hello Peter,
I have a .tif file I am trying to convert from 2.5 million colors down to 256 colors. The file is 6k by 8k in size. I initially just loaded the file then tried to save as a .gif file but after letting the program run overnight, it still hadn't saved the file. I then tried to convert the colors to 256 values which did not work. PMView appears to start the conversion then loses the clock icon (returns to the normal icon) but nothing happens. All the normal menu items are greyed out. I have tried watching the threads to see if any of them were doing any work but it did not appear so.

Please let me know if there is something else I should try.

Chris

PS. The problem exists with PMView on both OS/2 and Windows. Thanks

[This message has been edited by cn (edited June 15, 2001).]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Peter
post Jun 15 2001, 08:30 PM
Post #2

Forum Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

You need about 300 MB memory for this conversion.

If you want the conversion done at reasonable speed, you need to have 256 MB RAM installed. (Though the conversion should be possible also with only 128 MB RAM provided that you have at least 200 MB free on your swap drive).

OS/2:

This conversion is currently not possible in OS/2 due to the fact that a standard OS/2 application is restricted to using approx. 300 MB because of the 512MB/process memory address limit in OS/2.

PMView v2.30 will be released on June 25th. This version is able to use the new high memory support extensions provided in the latest OS/2 fixpack (Warp4:Fixpak 15, Warp3:Fixpak 43, WSeB:Fixpak2).

Thus, you need PMView 2000 for OS/2 v2.30 and the latest OS/2 fixpack to do this conversion under OS/2.

Windows:

Check that you have the necessary resources. It is possible that this does not work on Win 95/98/ME due to memory restrictions. (I haven't verified this though). On NT/2000 it will work fine.

------------------
Peter Nielsen (peter@pmview.com) "If you can dream it, you can do it" JFK.

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited June 16, 2001).]

--------------------
Peter Nielsen (peter@pmview.com) "If you can dream it, you can do it" JFK.

+Quote Post
cn
post Jun 18 2001, 05:17 AM
Post #3

Forum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 70

Thanks for the response. Here is some more information (I should have included before). I have two machines, an OS/2 and a Win2k. The OS/2 machine has 128MB memory with an initial swapfile size of 128MB. The swapfile can grow to about 500MB. The Win2k machine has 192MB of memory and the swapfile can grow to about 1GB.

On the OS/2 machine, I guess I will have to wait until PMView 2.30 and also applied the latest fixpak.

On the Win2k machine, it did appear to at least start. The clock icon would appear then disappear immediately and the menu items were greyed out.

In either case, I will wait until v2.30 is released.

Chris

Originally posted by Peter:
[b:post_uid0]You need about 300 MB memory for this conversion.

If you want the conversion done at reasonable speed, you need to have 256 MB RAM installed. (Though the conversion should be possible also with only 128 MB RAM provided that you have at least 200 MB free on your swap drive).

OS/2:

This conversion is currently not possible in OS/2 due to the fact that a standard OS/2 application is restricted to using approx. 300 MB because of the 512MB/process memory address limit in OS/2.  

PMView v2.30 will be released on June 25th. This version is able to use the new high memory support extensions provided in the latest OS/2 fixpack (Warp4:Fixpak 15, Warp3:Fixpak 43, WSeB:Fixpak2).

Thus, you need PMView 2000 for OS/2 v2.30 and the latest OS/2 fixpack to do this conversion under OS/2.

Windows:

Check that you have the necessary resources. It is possible that this does not work on Win 95/98/ME due to memory restrictions. (I haven't verified this though). On NT/2000 it will work fine.
[/b:post_uid0]

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:52 AM