> File Association
JoeM
post Nov 9 2000, 07:47 PM
Post #1

Forum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 34

Hi,

I'm using OS/2 Warp 4 with FixPak 12 installed.

I've been using PMView since ver 0.93 and have never had this problem before.

I recently installed PMView ver 2.13 and ever since, many of my .jpg's are associated with the OS/2 image viewer. Amazingly, some of my files are associated with PMView though.

I did click on "OK" for the section that had to do with file association. After I discovered the problem, I used the utility in the PMView folder. I tried this a number of times and cold rebooted and warm rebooted but many of my files are still associated with the OS/2 viewer.

Can anybody offer a solution?

Thanks.

Joe
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Peter
post Nov 9 2000, 09:52 PM
Post #2

Forum Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Normally the MAKEDEFV file association program that comes with PMView should work since it does the same thing that IBM's SETDEFV (provided in FixPak #1) does.

However, for some reason this solution may stop working when installing some of the later fixpaks. In this case, the only solution we know of is to install the Practice Image DLL. This is a DLL that overrides the OS/2 WPS system DLLs. You can get the Practice Image DLL from Hobbes.

------------------
Peter Nielsen (peter@pmview.com) "If you can dream it, you can do it" JFK.

--------------------
Peter Nielsen (peter@pmview.com) "If you can dream it, you can do it" JFK.

+Quote Post
JoeM
post Nov 10 2000, 06:18 PM
Post #3

Forum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 34

Hi Peter,

In the course of trying to work this problem out, I noticed that when I installed PMView 2.13, the title of the file on my C drive was PMView but the label on the folder that was placed on my desktop was PMView2000. The label on the .exe file within this folder was labeled PMView2000.exe. It occurred to me that my system might be having a problem finding PMView so I deleted the "2000" from both the folder and the .exe file. I then ran the file association utility again, rebooted and when my system came back up, just about all of my image files were associated with PMView. Don't know why but there were/are a few files still associated with my OS/2 image viewer but changing them manually will not be a problem.

I have many thousands of jpg's and I wanted to avoid having to associate all of them manually so that's why I messaged you.

Thanks for your timely response.

Joe Motch

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:28 AM