PMView.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "sort By Orientation" Issue With Exif Oriented Files?, Photographs taken using Canon EOD Kiss aren't sorted by orientatio
Teijo
post Jul 3 2007, 02:18 AM
Post #1

Forum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 79

JPG format photographs taken using a Canon EOS Kiss Digital aren't sorted by orientation when File open (thumbnail view) > Sort > Image Orientation is selected. Photographs taken with an older camera are. The older camera did not include EXIF orientation for picture rotation.

Photographs taken using both cameras are displayed by PMView in their proper orientation.

It looks like PMView rotates the EOS Kiss images according to EXIF information, but this isn't reflected in the sort order when sort by orientation is selected. Or am I perhaps doing something wrong?

OS/2 4.52 (Japanese) with latest fixpaks
PMView 3.50 for OS/2

I tried PMView 3.40 as well, and it appears to behave the same way.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Peter
post Jul 8 2007, 11:14 AM
Post #2

Forum Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Sorting is always based on information that is "easily at hand". Thus, information that requires a lot of disk/CPU consumption cannot be used for sorting. The size information used, is taken from the file format header. EXIF data is not parsed.

--------------------
Peter Nielsen (peter@pmview.com) "If you can dream it, you can do it" JFK.

+Quote Post
Teijo
post Jul 12 2007, 08:30 AM
Post #3

Forum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 79

Since the resize horizontal and vertical dimensions apply to the EXIF orientation based data, it would be beneficial to also implement an EXIF sort - or other similar feature - to simplify batch resizes.

I say this because when resizing a few hundred files, some of which are landscape and some portrait, wading through and choosing each one of a particular orientation prior to the resize operation is a bit tiring.

I've written a REXX workaround that reads the EXIF information of each file and then invokes PMView to resize it, but I feel this is a feature that some other people might also find useful were it implemented in PMView itself.

Or is there already a way to do this that I've missed?

+Quote Post
Peter
post Jul 23 2007, 12:26 PM
Post #4

Forum Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Teijo @ Jul 12 2007, 09:30 AM) *
Or is there already a way to do this that I've missed?

You could do "Rotate->Lossless using EXIF information" on all the files. This will "normalize" the orientation of the files. This has the added advantage that the files will be displayed correctly in other viewers that do not support on-the-fly orientation like PMView does.

Peter

--------------------
Peter Nielsen (peter@pmview.com) "If you can dream it, you can do it" JFK.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:15 PM