PMView.com

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Metafile - Windows and OS/2 metafile
Guest_Mike Engle_*
post May 2 2004, 09:50 PM
Post #1

Guests

Will there be a PMView for OS/2 that can read both OS/2 and Windows metafiles? I would really like to convert from WMF to MET.

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Peter
post May 5 2004, 09:06 AM
Post #2

Forum Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Metafiles contain vector graphics. You need a program that supports vector graphics...

Thanks,

--------------------
Peter Nielsen (peter@pmview.com) "If you can dream it, you can do it" JFK.

+Quote Post
Guest_101-1085522061_*
post May 28 2004, 09:52 AM
Post #3

Guests

Let me elaborate. An article some time ago (I believe it was in VOICE) stated that supporting vector graphics was on the list of future releases. I have not seen anything new in the latest release that makes me want to upgrade. But if metafiles were supported (and even more DRW files) I would upgrade the minute I learned of the release. I think PMView is a great product and have used it for some time now. I just need more incentive to part with my money. That's all.

+Quote Post
Peter
post May 30 2004, 09:37 AM
Post #4

Forum Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Reading postscript and vector data is still on the to-do list. However, it's about a one year undertaking to implement this. Before this there needs to be a Linux version and painting functions need to be added.

FWIW, you can use the screen capture functions to convert a metafile to any other format. Just load the graphics in a program that can display it and capture the screen.

However, when it comes to writing, it seems that the VOICE article is either wrong or you misread it. PMView will never [b:post_uid0]write[/b:post_uid0] vector graphics! In order to do this, you will need a program that is based on handling vector data from the ground up. PMView is raster-based (bitmap) and this will not change. (This means that in the future when vector data is supported, you will need to tell PMView what size or resolution to load it at so that the bitmap size can be determined). Even if PMView would support saving of .MET, it will only do a raster-save (i.e. bitmap in MET), thus losing the size independent vector characteristic of the original vector graphic file.

I would say that Coreldraw is your best bet for finding a program to convert vector graphics (it might even support OS/2 metafiles since Corel had an OS/2 version many years ago).

Thanks,

Edited By Peter on 1086008263

--------------------
Peter Nielsen (peter@pmview.com) "If you can dream it, you can do it" JFK.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:59 PM