asavage
post Mar 29 2013, 05:22 PM
Post #1

Forum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 28

WinXP SP3
PMV v3.71

Sometimes, often when copying a large selection to the clipboard (~4000x4000 pixels, 24-bit), the clock mouse cursor works as normal, but the clipboard is not populated with the data, and no error is displayed.

(Test: I open a 2nd instance of PMV and attempt to paste into a new image, but the Paste option is greyed out. Same for pasting into CS3.)

I am unable to find a reproducible sequence of steps to obtain this problem, but I have seen it intermittently and more than ten times. I reboot to clear the problem. I note it here in case others have the issue as well.

--------------------
Regards, Oak Harbor, WA
Al S.
http://asavage.dyndns.org
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
asavage
post Apr 30 2013, 01:25 PM
Post #2

Forum Member

Adding the "/3GB" switch to boot.ini did not seem to change the symptom here: copying a large section of a large image to clipboard does not work 100%.

My workaround has been to crop, save, Undo, then File->New->PMView Window, and open the saved crop there.

However, this doesn't work as smoothly when what I desire is a direct copy to CS3. The clipboard would be a lot faster wink.gif

--------------------
Regards, Oak Harbor, WA
Al S.

+Quote Post
Peter
post Apr 30 2013, 01:32 PM
Post #3

Forum Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

QUOTE (asavage @ Apr 30 2013, 02:25 PM) *
Adding the "/3GB" switch to boot.ini did not seem to change the symptom here: copying a large section of a large image to clipboard does not work 100%.

My workaround has been to crop, save, Undo, then File->New->PMView Window, and open the saved crop there.

However, this doesn't work as smoothly when what I desire is a direct copy to CS3. The clipboard would be a lot faster wink.gif

I just copied a 5000x5000 image to the clipboard and pasted it into CS6 (64-bit). Works fine here with PMView v3.72 64-bit on Windows 7 x64 w/ 4GB RAM.

If you work with images this big, it's time to move on to 64 bits!

Thanks,
Peter

--------------------
Peter Nielsen (peter@pmview.com) "If you can dream it, you can do it" JFK.

+Quote Post
asavage
post Apr 30 2013, 01:56 PM
Post #4

Forum Member

I do work with images that large, yes. But W7 is not on my To-Do list yet.

Just the cost of a W7 license is scandalous, and I'd have to vet all my existing software against the new OS. I don't do this lightly.

FWIW, I don't think saying that "it works for me (on an entirely different OS)" is saying much wink.gif

And, if the copy can't be made, it can't be made. But shouldn't I get a dialogue saying that?

(I do get a dialogue saying that, in the OS/2 version . . . right before PMV crashes into the sea sad.gif )

--------------------
Regards, Oak Harbor, WA
Al S.

+Quote Post
Peter
post Apr 30 2013, 02:16 PM
Post #5

Forum Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

QUOTE (asavage @ Apr 30 2013, 02:56 PM) *
And, if the copy can't be made, it can't be made. But shouldn't I get a dialogue saying that?

Ideally, yes. The situation is exactly the same as the "Out of memory" dialog added in v3.24: It's not supposed to happen. Unfortunately it does happen due to the 32-bit adressing limit.

The copying is done in a background thread. Currently PMView does not pass errors from background threads to the user. I will need to implement a mechanism for this, and once that's done, I can send the message. (You would not want PMView to throw an exception that results in the application terminating after the message - that would be the easy fix).

QUOTE (asavage @ Apr 30 2013, 02:56 PM) *
(I do get a dialogue saying that, in the OS/2 version . . . right before PMV crashes into the sea sad.gif )

This happens when PMView runs out of memory. A failed clipboard copy on OS/2 results in the same "no action" behavior as in Windows.

--------------------
Peter Nielsen (peter@pmview.com) "If you can dream it, you can do it" JFK.

+Quote Post
asavage
post Apr 30 2013, 02:39 PM
Post #6

Forum Member

QUOTE (Peter @ Apr 30 2013, 02:16 PM) *
The copying is done in a background thread. Currently PMView does not pass errors from background threads to the user. I will need to implement a mechanism for this, and once that's done, I can send the message.

Yeah, I can see how that could be a problem.
(You would not want PMView to throw an exception that results in the application terminating after the message - that would be the easy fix).

For a failed clipboard copy? No, that would not be an improvement over just not doing the copy. Unexpected data loss is never a good plan.

--------------------
Regards, Oak Harbor, WA
Al S.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:57 AM