Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Resizing images for printing
sidg
post Feb 22 2004, 11:35 AM
Post #1

Forum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 176

I have some paper patterns which need to be enlarged by a certain percentage before use. I've scanned them using Tame/2 but I can't see how to enlarge them and print them enlarged in PMView. I tried Transform > Size > Custom > 142%, but while this enlarges the image it makes no difference to the size at which it is printed. It's as if PMView were using the resolution at which the image was originally scanned (300dpi) although the image info for the resized image shows 426dpi. I'm using the 'fit resolution' option when printing.

Am I doing something wrong? Can this effect be achieved? I suppose I could adjust the image width/height manually in he print dialogue, but I'd rather not have to do the maths! The annoying thing is that I'm sure I tried this a while ago and it worked.

Regards

Sid Gale
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Peter
post Feb 22 2004, 10:59 PM
Post #2

Forum Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

The trick is to select a human unit instead of a computer unit. Sure sounds like you have selected to use "pixels" as measurement instead of inches (US) or millimeters (Europe).

Use the "Custom size" option in the print dialog (width or height as reference) and set the size you want in inches (or millimeters). No need to do the maths - the specified size is in pixels, inches or millimeters (depending on the unit selected with the "Unit" control down at the bottom of the dialog).

Thanks,

--------------------
Peter Nielsen (peter@pmview.com) "If you can dream it, you can do it" JFK.

+Quote Post
sidg
post Feb 23 2004, 05:51 AM
Post #3

Forum Member

Thanks for the response but, I'm sorry, I don't understand it. sad.gif

Units are set to mm. I want to print an image enlarged by, say, 142%. If I use the 'Custom size' option in the print dialogue I have to calculate 142% of the original size in order to put a value in the width or height boxes. Am I missing something? Is there a 'x%' option in the print dialogue that I haven't spotted?

Being a simple person, I would expect the 'Fit resolution' option in the print dialogue to do the job. Printing the original, scanned image (scanned at 300dpi) using 'Fit resolution' prints it actual size. After enlarging the image (Transform > Resize...) by 142% the image info box shows the resolution to be 426x426dpi (142% of 300) but when I print that image it comes out the same size as the original. An option to print at the enlarged resolution would be really useful!

Regards

Sid

+Quote Post
Peter
post Feb 23 2004, 09:37 AM
Post #4

Forum Member

Ah, I did not realize that you wanted the print to appear 1.42 times larger than the original.

The reason your method does not work, is because resizing will also set the resolution in order not to affect the original physical size.

After doing the resizing, you can use Transform->Resolution and set the resolution back to 300x300. Then the image will appear 1.42 times larger when printing with "fit resolution".

Thanks,

--------------------

+Quote Post
sidg
post Feb 23 2004, 10:34 AM
Post #5

Forum Member

Right, that makes sense now - thanks very much! It's not particularly intuitive, though; if the image size is increased then 'commom sense' says that it gets bigger! It probably makes sense to a graphics professional, but not to the novice user.

Something for a FAQ or tips'n'tricks, perhaps?

Thanks again!

Oh by the way - I'm using PMVPro 3.02 for OS/2. Last Christmas I had a bad crash in Windows 98 which took out my OS/2 program partition. I was able to recover most of it from a backup, but lost my email with instructions for downloading the full version of PMV. Could you remind me, please, of the procedure for retrieving that information - is it through BMTMicro?

Regards

Sid

+Quote Post
Peter
post Mar 2 2004, 08:54 AM
Post #6

Forum Member

Last Christmas I had a bad crash in Windows 98 which took out my OS/2 program partition. I was able to recover most of it from a backup, but lost my email with instructions for downloading the full version of PMV. Could you remind me, please, of the procedure for retrieving that information - is it through BMTMicro?

Please e-mail me: peter@pmview.com

Thanks,

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:08 PM