jimoe
post Jun 17 2010, 02:23 PM
Post #1

Forum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,719

PMMView v3.53

This is a two part issue.

1. Occasionally an image file is opened read-only for no apparent reason (the file is definitely NOT read-only). For instance, I open a JPEG image, make some changes and save it with a different name. When I then open the changed file, PMMView cannot edit it! This also happens for images that are similarly created by other image manipulation programs.

The only relation I can see is if the height is more than 3 or 4 times the width.

2. The main menu bar is changed internally to have only two options: View, Help. But it is not actually updated; visually the full menu is still there (a zombie menu?). When I click on the File option (really View), I get the View options even though the option says File. Rather confusing.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Peter
post Jul 5 2010, 08:41 AM
Post #2

Forum Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

QUOTE (jimoe @ Jun 17 2010, 03:23 PM) *
1. Occasionally an image file is opened read-only for no apparent reason (the file is definitely NOT read-only). For instance, I open a JPEG image, make some changes and save it with a different name. When I then open the changed file, PMMView cannot edit it! This also happens for images that are similarly created by other image manipulation programs.

What file system/drive are you using. This sounds like a problem with the underlying file system.

Is the file actually flagged as read only (attr R+) or is it locked? If the latter is the case, have you tried to establish what keeps the file locked?

QUOTE (jimoe @ Jun 17 2010, 03:23 PM) *
2. The main menu bar is changed internally to have only two options: View, Help. But it is not actually updated; visually the full menu is still there (a zombie menu?). When I click on the File option (really View), I get the View options even though the option says File. Rather confusing.

Are you using any desktop enhancers that possibly are interfering with the menus?

What OS/2 version are you using?

Thanks,
Peter

--------------------
Peter Nielsen (peter@pmview.com) "If you can dream it, you can do it" JFK.

+Quote Post
jimoe
post Jul 8 2010, 12:46 PM
Post #3

Forum Member

QUOTE (Peter @ Jul 5 2010, 08:41 AM) *
What file system/drive are you using. This sounds like a problem with the underlying file system.

OS/2 is running in a virtual machine, VirtualBox. The filesystem is selected as ATA. The same problem occurs, though, when the file is located on a network drive accessed with netbios.

Is the file actually flagged as read only (attr R+) or is it locked? If the latter is the case, have you tried to establish what keeps the file locked?

The file is not read-only. It is not locked. Other programs can open and edit it.

The defining feature seems to be that the height is at least 3 times the width, i.e., a tall and narrow image.

Are you using any desktop enhancers that possibly are interfering with the menus?

No.

What OS/2 version are you using?

OS/2 v4.52 fp3

+Quote Post
Peter
post Jul 14 2010, 09:18 AM
Post #4

Forum Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

QUOTE (jimoe @ Jul 8 2010, 01:46 PM) *
OS/2 is running in a virtual machine, VirtualBox.

This is probably the reason for both your problems.

The anomalies you describe do not occur on a regular OS/2 v4.5 fp3 installation.

Thanks,
Peter

--------------------
Peter Nielsen (peter@pmview.com) "If you can dream it, you can do it" JFK.

+Quote Post
jimoe
post Jul 18 2010, 11:13 PM
Post #5

Forum Member

QUOTE (Peter @ Jul 14 2010, 10:18 AM) *
> OS/2 is running in a virtual machine, VirtualBox.
This is probably the reason for both your problems.

Other programs in a virtualized OS/2 have no problem opening and changing the images. I prefer PMView because most of my edits are simple and PMV makes it simple to make those changes.

The anomalies you describe do not occur on a regular OS/2 v4.5 fp3 installation.

Well, yes they did. I just did not report it before. I grew tired of the workarounds.

As a workaround I would start a VirtualPC Windows session and use photoshop to edit the images. It was like using a sledgehammer on a gnat.

Now I do a similar workaround except with VirtualBox.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:47 AM